You might not think of a cola as the base for a barbecue sauce, but the sweetness of the soda helps to enhance the flavors of the sauce. You can reduce the calories of this sauce with diet soda, but it will change the flavor.
- 2 cups/475 mL Coca-Cola (or similar cola)
- 2 cups/475 mL ketchup
- 1/2 onion large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup/60 mL white vinegar
- 1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt (use less if preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper (use less if preferred)
1.Bring all ingredients to a high simmer on the stove top. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook the sauce for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes before using.
3. If making ahead, let sauce cool completely and place into an airtight plastic container of jar and store in the refrigerator for 7 days after preparation.
Warm before using.
4. This sauce can be used on any cut of meat and most meat substitutes. It can also be served as a table sauce with pulled pork or brisket.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|