This delicious coconut cake is actually an upside down cake with a buttery brown sugar and toasted coconut topping. From house party guests to your out of town family that's visiting, everyone will enjoy this sweet dessert.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar (brown)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup coconut (toasted*)
- 1 1/4 cups flour (cake, sifted)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In an 8-inch square baking pan, melt butter with brown sugar and water.
- Cook, stirring until well blended. Add toasted coconut; set aside.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter; stir in dry ingredients. Stir in egg, milk, and vanilla; beat for 1 minute.
- Pour batter over coconut mixture. Bake at 350 F for 35 to 45 minutes, until the cake is done.
- Invert the cake onto a cake plate.
*To toast coconut in the oven, spread coconut on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 325 F, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|