Using coconut milk instead of making a cream sauce makes quick and easy work of homemade creamed corn. Ditch the can of creamed corn and grab the can of coconut milk!
Note: Tempting as it may be to use "light" coconut milk, know that the chances of it curdling on you increase exponentially.
- Put the coconut milk in a medium saucepan over low heat. As it heats, peel the garlic and cut the lemongrass stalk into 3-inch pieces, crush everything lightly and add it to the coconut milk. Cut the chile into thick rings; peel and mince or grate the ginger and add them, too. Increase heat to maintain a gently simmer until flavors meld, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shuck the corn, cut off the kernels into a large bowl, and then use a large hole grater to grate the remaining juice and kernel from the cob.
- Fish out and discard the garlic clove and pieces of lemongrass and chile from the coconut milk.
- Add corn and stir to combine. Cook, stirring now and again, until corn is cooked to taste, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how you like your corn.
- Meanwhile, mince the chives, if using.
- Add salt to taste and garnish with chives, if you like.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|