|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 1/2 quarts (6 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 28g||140%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This butternut squash soup is flavored with coconut milk, curry powder, and lime juice. A little honey, ginger, and garlic add even more flavor to the soup. Top the soup with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley. Or roast some of the butternut squash seeds for garnish.
See the tips and variations for how to roast the seeds and some other garnish ideas.
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 cans (approx. 14 ounces each) light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3 green onions (chopped)
- 2 small cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger puree or a 1-inch piece of ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
In a large saucepan combine the squash pieces, coconut milk, chicken broth, green onions, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the butternut squash is very tender.
Add the honey, curry powder, lime juice, and salt, to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes longer.
Carefully puree the mixture in a blender in small batches.
Serve the soup garnished with chopped cilantro if desired.
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts.
Use Caution When Blending Hot Ingredients
Steam expands quickly in a blender, and can cause ingredients to splatter everywhere or cause burns. To prevent this, fill the blender only one-third of the way up, vent the top, and cover with a folded kitchen towel while blending.
- How to Roast Winter Squash Seeds ― Remove the seeds from the squash and rinse in a colander under running water. Remove any squash flesh and strings from the seeds. Pat the seeds with paper towels to dry and then put them in a bowl. Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil for each cup of seeds. Toss to coat with the oil and spread out in a single layer on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle lightly with salt. Roast in a preheated 300 F oven for about 20 minutes, turning a few times so they will brown evenly. If sweetened seeds are desired, toss the cooled roasted seeds with a small amount of cinnamon-sugar.
- How to Puree Soup in a Blender ― Use caution when blending any hot liquids. Fill the blender about one-third to half full. Loosen the middle center cap in the lid. Place a kitchen towel over the lid and hold it down firmly.
A simple drizzle of olive oil or chili oil.
A swirl of yogurt or coconut cream.
Finely chopped green onion tops or chives.
Toasted chopped pecans or walnuts.
Chopped roasted peanuts.
Roasted red pepper puree or this creamy roasted red pepper sauce.