Coconut French Toast is a crispy, tropical spin on the classic french toast recipe. It's pretty simple to make and tastes and looks impressive! The warm and creamy inside and the caramelized outside are a perfect combination!
All you need is shredded coconut, but you have to be careful while you are cooking the toast, because the sugar in the coconut can cause it to burn easier!
You can add coconut extract into the batter if you have it for some extra coco-nutty flavor, but it is not necessary. I like to eat the french toast with traditional maple syrup, but you can also make a coconut glaze or use another kind of syrup! It also tastes delicious sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Try this tropical breakfast the next time you have guests over and want to make a fun and different breakfast!
- 6 eggs (beaten well)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 8 slices bread
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Optional Toppings:
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- Beat together the eggs, whole milk, sugar, vanilla, and coconut in a flat, and deep dish. A casserole dish works well.
- Heat a large griddle to medium high heat. Use a fry pan if you do not have a griddle. A cast iron pan also works really well.
- Dip the bread slices in the milk mixture. Let them sit and soak up the mixture, for longer if the bread is stale. Be careful not to let fresh bread sit too long, or it will become too soggy to take out of the mixture! Flip the bread so that both sides have soaked in the milk mixture.
- Dip the bread into the coconut flakes and flip so that both sides are coated completely in coconut flakes.
- Grease the griddle and turn down the heat to medium.
- Place the slices of french toast on the griddle. Watch the heat carefully and turn it down if necessary as to not burn the french toast! It can burn easily due to the sugar in the coconut! It is better to cook it on low heat for a longer period of time!
- After about 2 minutes, flip the slices of french toast and cook for another minute to two minutes on the other side. Remove from the griddle and keep warm in a 200 degree oven until you are ready to serve all of the toast.
- Top the warm french toast with maple syrup, butter, and powdered sugar!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|