|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 cups (12 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Use this coffee barbecue sauce as a marinade or finishing sauce for grilled or baked pork, beef, or chicken. The sauce may be covered and refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
- 1/2 cup espresso (brewed, or strong, dark coffee)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar (light brown, firmly packed)
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped, about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 3 chili peppers (fresh, seeded, hot such as jalapeño, or hotter if desired)
- 2 tablespoons mustard (dry hot, mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin (ground)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
Gather the ingredients.
Put espresso or coffee, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, chile peppers, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, and chili powder in a small pot, stir them together and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Lower the heat so the mixture is just simmering and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat, let the mixture cool.
Puree in a blender.
Use immediately or store for later use.
- This barbecue sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe Source: Chef Michael Lomonaco, Noche Restaurant, New York, NY
Reprinted with permission.