Rich and creamy coffee ice cream is just the afternoon or after dinner pick-me-up treat you need. Plus, it's a no-churn ice cream so it could not be easier to make. It only takes a few ingredients, a hand mixer, and a freezer. No fancy ice cream machine is required, so no need to drag out that bulky equipment.
You do need to make this coffee ice cream well ahead of time, at least 6 hours prior to your event, but you can whip up the mixture in no time and pop it in the freezer the day before. It's so simple to make it the day before you want to serve it and you will have the perfect dessert for your next dinner or gathering. If you freeze it in a resealable container you can enjoy it for a few weeks.
It is a great idea to use instant espresso granules for this recipe for the most intense coffee flavor. The vanilla also brings out a nice flavor in the ice cream, but if you don't have it on hand, you can leave it out.
If you're looking for a little chocolate indulgence with your caffeinated dessert, add some mini chocolate chips to the ice cream mixture before you freeze it (and sprinkle some more on top!).
If you aren't looking for a caffeine lift from your ice cream, use some decaffeinated coffee granules instead. It will taste just as good as the caffeinated version. You can also just brew some strong coffee if you can't get your hands on instant granules.
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Add hot water to a large measuring cup or medium-sized bowl and whisk in the espresso granules until they dissolve.
- Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and salt until completely combined. Set it in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the heavy cream.
- Beat the heavy cream with a hand mixer until it becomes whipped cream and stiff peaks form.
- Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk mixture until completely combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour the ice cream into a loaf pan. Cover it in plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for least 6 hours, or until completely frozen. Making it and letting it freeze over night works the best.
- When ready to serve, heat an ice cream scoop with hot water, scoop the ice cream, and serve with chocolate chips, amaretto cookies, or other sweet crumbled cookie toppings.