|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This pot roast is flavored with strong black coffee, along with onions and garlic. Serve this easy braised chuck roast with mashed potatoes or simple noodles, along with green beans or carrots.
- 1 beef pot roast, preferably a chuck roast, about 3 to 4 pounds
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2/3 cup strong brewed black coffee
- 2 tablespoons flour mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Sprinkle the chuck roast all over with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sear, turning to brown all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions to the pan, along with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to brown, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add the minced garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Stir in the coffee and bring to a simmer.
- Put the beef back into the pot and turn to coat well with the onions and liquids.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven and transfer to the oven. Braise for about 2 hours, or until the beef is very tender.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and keep warm.
- Strain the liquids into a gravy separator and discard excess fat. Put the liquids and onions back in the pot over medium heat and stir in the flour and water mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve the beef with the sauce.
You Might Also Like