This unique coffee-flavored snack cake is perfectly flavored with coffee or espresso, and the finely chopped walnuts give it amazing texture. The frosting is also flavored with coffee or espresso, and a little cream cheese makes it especially smooth and delicious.
This one layer cake is the perfect size for most families, and it is so easy to prepare and bake. Make it for a weekend dessert or take it to a potluck or party.
- 3/4 cup walnuts (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups (7 ounces) all-purpose flour (7 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons strong espresso or very strong black coffee
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (confectioners')
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons strong espresso or very strong black coffee
- Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- With a food processor or food chopper, finely chop 1/2 cup of the walnuts. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt n a bowl; blend thoroughly and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the 1/2 cup of softened butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Blend in the vanilla.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk with the 3 tablespoons of espresso or coffee.
- With the mixer on low speed, blend in the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk and espresso mixture. Blend well.
- Fold in the finely chopped walnuts.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, blend the confectioners' sugar with the 2 tablespoons of butter and the cream cheese. Beat in the strong espresso or coffee, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the frosting is fluffy and spreadable. Add more confectioners' sugar if it becomes too thin.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 1/4 cup of walnuts.
- Spread frosting over the top and sides of the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the coarsely chopped walnuts over the top of the cake.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|