Delicious Cold & Flu Season Smoothie Recipe

Banana Walnut Smoothie
Carlos Gawronski/E+/Getty Images
  • Total: 5 mins
  • Prep: 5 mins
  • Cook: 0 mins
  • Yield: 16 oz. (serves 1-2)

Effective Cold & Flu Fighter

Cold and flu season is upon us! Despite mild temperatures, so far, here in the Northeast, experts at WebMD predict that we’ll see more colds and flu this year!

Avoiding illness is not rocket science! Simple and easy things like washing your hands and staying hydrated are proven to keep your immune system strong and effectively ward off illness.

Another proven difference-maker is Elderberry Extract! Studies have shown that this all-natural juice can both reduce cold and flu symptoms and shorten their duration.

Norm's Story

One of our own farms here in the US is taking the lead in growing this sustainable and healthy food.

It’s known as Norm’s Farm founded by Norman Lenhardt, who wanted to protect and preserve America’s farm lands while also ensuring that we would have enough food to feed the world.

When Norm was not advocating for farm preservation and wildlife protection, he spent his time on his 170-acre farm. Located in the Missouri river bottom of Hartsburg, MO, Norm’s Farm boasts some of the richest soil in the world. Today the farm is managed by Norm’s son, Rodger Lenhardt, and in honor of Norm’s dream for land preservation, the farm has been placed in a trust.

Norm’s Farm is at the forefront of one of the most sustainable and exciting new crops: elderberry. This emerging superfruit is packed with Vitamins A, B and C , iron, potassium, and the powerful antioxidants known as anthocyanins. The plants are a hardy perennial, and are naturally disease resistant.

Elderberry's Exciting Furure

Surprisingly, only 10% of the elderberries consumed in the US are actually grown here; the other 90% are grown in Europe. We’re working to change that by selling plants and making value-added elderberry products.

Because Norm’s Farm cannot keep up with the demand, they are working with small family farmers in North Carolina to help establish elderberry orchards for an ever-increasing US source of elderberries and elderberry products.

Elderberry Smoothie

Here is their ‘Wellness Smoothie Recipe’ loaded with fiber, probiotics and antioxidants - a fantastic way to get your day off to a healthy start.

Serve it to your kids as a healthy after-school treat. 

The recipe makes two 8 ounce servings and is a great way to get your calcium, vitamins, minerals and your daily serving of elderberry.

No products or fees were accepted for this endorsement of Norm's and their products.


  • 2 Tablespoons Norm’s Farms Elderberry Wellness Syrup
  • 1 fresh ripe​ Pear
  • 1 fresh ripe​ Banana
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup​ Coconut Milk
  • You can also substitute 3/4 cup of berries, peaches, mango or other fruit for the pear in this recipe.

Steps to Make It

  1. Gather the ingredients.

  2. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend at high speed until smooth. Divide between two glasses and enjoy!