Need a quick dinner idea, or have some leftover rice on hand? Try this healthy vegetarian Asian rice salad recipe! This nutritious vegetarian and vegan Asian rice salad recipe is made with brown rice (though you could certainly use white rice or anything you have leftover), peanut oil and sesame oil for an authentic Asian flavor, a bit of sugar and salt, rice vinegar and plenty of vegetables, including snow peas, celery, carrot, bell pepper and green onions. All these ingredients combine for a fantastic mix of flavors and textures. It's a little bit sweet a little bit tangy and sour, with lots of crunchy texture and the comfort and familiarity of simple brown rice.
You can serve up this Asian rice salad hot or cold, but it is intended to be served cold as a salad, making it perfect for vegetarian picnics, potlucks or barbecues, since it's easy to make a big batch.
Rice salad, this one included, is also a great way to use up any leftover rice you have on hand.
This rice salad dish is a vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free recipe, as long as you make sure your rice vinegar is gluten-free (it should be, but check for additives) and is a simple vegan dinner idea for a hot summer day. It's also a simple gluten-free vegan dinner idea, and, if you like fun vegetarian rice recipes such as this one you might also want to try one of these four vegan Spanish paellas.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (substitute another neutral flavored oil such as safflower oil or canola oil if you don't have peanut oil)
- 1 tsp. salt (sea salt or kosher salt is best)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (fresh ground black pepper gives the best flavor)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped snow peas
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (optional)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional but a nice extra flavor and garnish)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the peanut oil, salt, black pepper, sugar and sesame oil. Stir and whisk together until the sugar dissolves, then pour over the mixture over the cooked and cooled brown rice in a large mixing bowl. Toss gently to coat the rice and combine well, then set aside.
- Steam the carrots, snow peas and corn for one just a minute or two, until they're just barely starting to get tender. Drain, then stir the vegetables into the rice.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the rice vinegar, diced celery, bell pepper and green onions and stir to combine. Serve chilled garnished with the optional chopped fresh parsley.
- Enjoy your simple and healthy vegetarian and vegan Asian rice salad!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|