This recipe for Cold Chicken is a family favorite. Incredibly simple to create, a whole chicken is boiled in a mixture of soy sauce before being garnished with sesame oil and scallions.
- 1 small whole fryer chicken
- 1 cup either dark soy sauce or mushroom flavored soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rock sugar (or substitute with 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar)
- 6 whole star anise
- 1 thick slice fresh ginger
- For Garnish:
- 3 tablespoons scallions (finely chopped, green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- Wash the chicken and place it in a pot (it should fit fairly tightly)
- Add the soy sauce, rock sugar or granulated sugar, star anise, ginger and enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat and cook at a medium boil for 20 minutes, making sure to add boiling water as needed to keep the chicken covered.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid (use aluminum foil to help seal the pot if necessary). Let it cool completely in the covered pot. Remove the cooled chicken from the pot and drain. Do not discard the cooking liquid.
- Using a cleaver or a large knife, cut the chicken into serving pieces. Arrange the pieces on a serving platter, skin side up, so that it resembles a whole chicken.
- Add 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Brush the sesame seed oil over the skin and sprinkle the scallion on top. Serve at room temperature or chilled if you like.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|