|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||32%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Looking for the perfect purple cabbage coleslaw recipe? Purple cabbage is a lovely and colorful addition to any basic coleslaw salad. Keep in mind that purple cabbage tends to be a little crunchier than green cabbage, which is why this recipe calls for a blend of both green and purple cabbage. And, while green cabbage gets softer as it sits in the dressing, the purple cabbage will stay a bit crispier. We recommend that you chop the purple cabbage a bit thinner than the green cabbage if you have the knife skills to do so.
When it comes to homemade cole slaw, it does not get much easier than this simple recipe made with purple cabbage, carrots, lemon juice, mayonnaise and little else. And of course, this quick and easy coleslaw recipe is completely vegetarian, and you could use a vegan mayonnaise to keep it egg-free and dairy-free if you'd like to keep it vegan. All of the ingredients are gluten-free, but you'll want to check the ingredients on your store-bought mayonnaise to be sure.
- 1 green cabbage (thinly shredded)
- 1/2 purple cabbage (thinly shredded)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (use vegan mayonnaise to keep this recipe vegan if needed)
- Dash of salt (to taste; sea salt or Kosher salt is best)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the green cabbage and purple cabbage together in a large bowl, gently tossing to combine.
Mix the carrots and the green onions with the cabbage until all the ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed.
Drizzle the cabbage and carrot mixtures with the lemon juice and mayonnaise, and toss everything together well in order to fully disperse the mayonnaise.
Season lightly with a bit of salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you have enough time, prepare your coleslaw in advance and allow it to sit in the refrigerator, covered, for at least an hour or two to allow the cabbage to soften and the flavors to fully develop. Remove from the fridge and gently toss everything together again just before serving. Taste, and add a bit more salt and pepper to taste just before serving, if you'd like.