Thanks to Colleen for sharing this flavorful recipe for buttermilk chicken. The dish is quick and easy to prepare and bake and it makes a great family meal.
Split chicken breasts (bone-in) were used in the pictured recipe, and they were seared in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil first. If you are using boneless chicken breasts, reduce the baking time to about 30 to 45 minutes total depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Or use chicken thighs in the recipe.
To avoid overcooking, check the chicken with a reliable instant read food thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless or bone-in (see tips)
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (10 3.4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Put the butter in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan and place it in the oven until the butter has melted.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the buttermilk in a shallow bowl.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken into the buttermilk and then roll it in the flour mixture to coat thoroughly. Arrange the chicken in the baking pan (if using bone-in chicken with skin, arrange skin-side up).
- Bake the chicken at 425 F uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn and bake for 15 minutes longer. Turn the chicken pieces again and reduce the heat to 375 F.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of buttermilk and the condensed cream of mushroom soup and pour over chicken. Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Arrange the cooked chicken on a platter. Stir the sauce mixture in the pan and spoon over the chicken.
- For crispy skin, bone-in chicken with skin may be briefly fried before baking. Heat about 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Place the chicken in the baking pan skin-side up and continue with the recipe.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||88 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|