This popular one-layer chocolate cake is baked in frosted with a creamy chocolate frosting. It's a buttermilk chocolate cake made with a combination of chocolate and coffee. The coffee is the secret to the amazing flavor.
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1 cup brewed black coffee
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking pan
- In a large saucepan, combine the unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup of butter, and 1 cup of brewed coffee. Heat until chocolate and butter are melted. Add granulated sugar and continue cooking until over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine buttermilk, baking soda, eggs, cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Stir into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in flour, blending well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Frost with the chocolate frosting (below).
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup of butter until light and fluffy. Add the cocoa and blend well. Add powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Blend well.
- Add the 1/4 cup of coffee, a little at a time, until spreading consistency is reached.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|