|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
People love the delicious smoothies from the Orange Julius in the mall, but they are not cheap and they are packed with calories. You can easily make this copycat of their original smoothie at home. It is made with only four ingredients and it gets its sweetness from the frozen banana. This smoothie has far fewer calories and tastes so fresh and delicious. Also, you know exactly what has gone into this smoothie so you can feel good about eating it on the regular. It has a delicious tropical smoothie flavor that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
This recipe makes one smoothie, but you can easily double it if you are making the smoothie for two. You can also add other fruits and a little more juice to make different flavors like strawberry banana or orange mango. You can experiment with using different juices like mango, pineapple, or another whole fruit juice. Try substituting coconut milk for the whole milk for a truly tropical fruit smoothie.
- 1 large banana (frozen)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: orange slice
Gather the ingredients.
Place the banana, orange juice, milk, and vanilla in a blender.
Blend the ingredients until it is smooth using the highest or smoothie setting.
This smoothie is best served immediately and while it is still cold.
Garnish with an orange slice if you wish.
- You can vary the amount of milk and orange juice to make the smoothie thicker or thinner. Add more liquid to thin it and less to make it thicker.
- To get the most banana flavor and sweetness, allow your bananas to ripen until they have lots of dark spots and are even turning dark brown in patches. Peel the bananas and place them in a freezer bag in your freezer. If you want less sweetness and less banana flavor, freeze bananas when they are just ripe, without any green but before they develop brown spots. You can make this smoothie with an unfrozen banana but it won't be as cold.
- You can substitute yogurt, coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, or low-fat milk for the whole milk. This can turn the recipe into one that is dairy-free.
- If you don't like the banana flavor or you don't have bananas handy, you can replace it with a cup of ice and 2 teaspoons of sugar or honey. The orange juice provides a little sweetness, but it won't taste as sweet without the banana unless you add some sweetener.
- If you want to pack some protein into this smoothie, you can also substitute 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or strained yogurt for the whole milk. You can also add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to the original ingredients. A protein smoothie is the ultimate morning power drink.