A simple seasoned mixture of corn and tomatoes and assorted vegetables go into the stuffing for these bell peppers. To add more flavor to the peppers, top them with shredded cheese about 5 to 10 minutes before the peppers come out of the oven.
Depending on the shape of the peppers, you may slice the tops off or slice them in half horizontally.
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fresh tomato (diced)
- 1 tablespoon onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- Optional: shredded Cheddar or Cheddar Jack cheese
Slice tops from peppers; remove seeds and white membranes.
Put peppers in a large saucepan; cover with salted water. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients; spoon into drained green peppers.
Place in baking pan; add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of hot water to the pan to keep the peppers moist.
Bake in a preheated 350 F (180 C/Gas Mark 4) oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until done.
*If desired, top with shredded cheese about 10 minutes before the peppers are done.
Recipe serves 6.
More Stuffed Peppers