One of the easiest ways to jazz up a basic cornbread is by adding sweet corn -- whether it's canned, frozen or cut straight off the cob.
Fresh corn is best, but frozen is nearly as good. Just let the corn thaw and then drain thoroughly. Canned corn also works in a pinch -- again, drain it thoroughly before mixing it into the batter.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thoroughly grease your baking dish.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the half and half, eggs, butter (or shortening) and sugar.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until the flour is moistened, no more than ten to fifteen seconds. Then fold in the corn, but don't overmix the batter or your cornbread will be too tough.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake the cornbread immediately.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean and the edge of the cornbread starts to separate from the pan.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|