Cornbread or cornbread muffins make up the base for these individual breakfast egg casseroles. The cornbread is topped with bacon, a whole egg, cheese, and cream. You may use biscuits or bread cubes instead of the cornbread, and other meats may be used.
These simple individual breakfast casseroles are quick and easy to prepare, and they bake to perfection in just 15 minutes. Use leftover baked cornbread or corn muffins for this dish, and feel free to substitute sliced link sausage or diced ham, or use vegetarian bacon or meat crumbles.
For a topping, use Cheddar or a Cheddar Jack blend of cheeses. A Mexican blend would work as well.
- 1/2 stick of softened butter for greasing the ramekins
- 2 to 3 corn muffins or cornbread slices (broken into chunks)
- 6 strips of bacon (cooked and drained, diced or crumbled)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 to 6 tablespoons shredded cheddar or cheddar jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Dash kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Butter four 6- to 8-ounce ramekins. Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
- Divide the chunks of cornbread among the four ramekins. Sprinkle crumbled bacon evenly over the cornbread chunks.
- Break an egg into each ramekin.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over each egg.
- Drizzle each little breakfast casserole with 1 1/2 tablespoons of heavy cream and then sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake the casseroles for 15 to 16 minutes, or until the whites of the eggs are set but the yolks are still somewhat soft. Bake a bit longer if you like your egg yolks firm.
Makes 4 servings