This corned beef and cabbage casserole is a simple 5-ingredient combination. Feel free to add a topping of shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese to the casserole just before it's finished baking. It's an easy change of pace from a larger boiled dinner, and it will satisfy that craving.
If you'd like to cut down on baking time, steam the cabbage for about 10 minutes before combining it with the corned beef.
Serve this tasty corned beef casserole with a tossed salad and crusty rolls.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom (or cream of celery soup)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups corned beef (cooked, diced)
- 5 cups cabbage (coarsely shredded)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Peel the onion and chop it,
- In a bowl, combine the condensed soup, chopped onion, and dry mustard. Add the corned beef and cabbage; turn the mixture into a buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Lightly sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper over the casserole.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake the casserole for about 30 minutes. Check and add a small amount of water, broth, or milk if it seems dry. Cover and continue cooking for about 30 minutes longer, or until the cabbage is tender.
- Uncover the casserole and top it with 1 cup of shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese just before it's done.
- Stir about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds into the cabbage and corned beef mixture.
- Use canned corned beef, but chill it thoroughly before slicing and dicing.
- The cabbage may be steamed for about 10 minutes to soften, which will reduce the baking time.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|