Leftover corned beef dinner makes a tasty stuffing for cabbage. These cabbage rolls are served with a cheese sauce, or omit the cheese and serve with the simple thickened white sauce.
If you need a shortcut, use a creamy mushroom sauce made with condensed soup. See the tips and variations for that sauce and other ideas.
- 1 large head cabbage or 2 medium heads
- 3 cups diced cooked corned beef
- 3 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 1 teaspoon
- dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- dash black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Separate leaves from cabbage. Put leaves in a large cooking pot with a little water; cover and let the leaves steam just until slightly wilted and flexible.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced leftover corned beef with the potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in the egg. Shape some of the corned beef mixture into a small ball, depending on the size of the cabbage leaf you are stuffing. Place the filling on the cabbage leaf, tuck sides in, and roll up. Place in a large baking dish or Dutch oven, seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining corned beef mixture and cabbage leaves, until all are used. If you have any cabbage leaves left, you can add them to the pot. Pour beef broth over the cabbage, cover tightly, and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour until blended and smooth. Add the milk and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Add the cheese and cook until melted. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve cabbage rolls with the cheese sauce.
*The easiest way to separate the leaves for cabbage rolls is to freeze the whole head of cabbage overnight. Take it out and let it thaw the next day. The leaves will peel right off and they will be flexible enough to roll without cooking first.
Tips and Variations
- Quick Mushroom Sauce - Omit the sauce ingredients (last four ingredients) and make a quick sauce with condensed soup. Take a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 ounces) and mix it with 1/3 cup of water, milk, or light cream. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese, if desired.
- Substitute frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (thawed) for the cooked diced potatoes.
- Sauté about 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion or a combination of onion and bell pepper and add to the filling.
More Corned Beef Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|