|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 92g||118%|
|Saturated Fat 35g||175%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 10mg||49%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This corned beef sandwich is topped with sauerkraut and Swiss cheese. The meats are put on a flavorful rye bread that is slathered with mustard for even more savory flavoring. There are a few variations you can also try such as changing up the type of bread or cheese you use.
1/4 cup sauerkraut
2 slices dark rye bread
1 slice Swiss cheese
4 slices corned beef
1 teaspoon mustard
Drain the sauerkraut.
On a slice of dark rye bread, arrange a layer of Swiss cheese, a few slices of hot corned beef, and sauerkraut.
Spread with your favorite mustard and top with another slice of dark rye.
How to Cook Corned Beef
If you want fresh corned beef on your sandwich instead of sliced corned beef bought at a deli, there are a few ways to prepare it:
- Slow-Cooked: Pop your corned beef in the crockpot with spices and water and let the slow-cooker do the rest. It will create a tender, juicy corned beef that can be sliced and put on sandwiches, or eaten plain.
- Boiled: With this method, you put the corned beef into a large pot or Dutch oven along with spices that come in the package_ and plenty of water. Boil it and then reduce the heat to simmer the corned beef with a cover over it.
- Oven Braised: Place the roast in a Dutch oven or roasting pan and bake it in the oven with aluminum foil on top to keep it juicy.
- Toast the bread before making the sandwich, or bake the entire sandwich in an oven.
- Use white bread, wheat or pumpernickel bread. You can put this on a roll, too!
- Replace the Swiss cheese with Cheddar, Muenster, Fontina, or Gouda for a different flavor profile.
- Add some bacon to the sandwich.
- Instead of plain mustard, use Dijon mustard or a spicy Sriracha mayonnaise, or mayonnaise mixed with Dijon mustard. It will add a tangy sauce that goes beyond the ordinary.