Cornish game hens are flavored with butter and filled with a flavorful apple sausage stuffing. The savory stuffing comes alive with poultry seasoning, herbs, sausage, and apples. These are sure to wow all the guests at your next dinner party.
- 6 to 8 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups toasted bread cubes
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup melted butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf sage, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 6 Cornish game hens, about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds each
Brown sausage well then drain off grease. Add bread cubes, apples, celery, raisins, onion, 1/4 cup of the melted butter, 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth, sage, poultry seasoning, and salt; mix well.
In a separate or cup, combine remaining 1/2 cup melted butter and 3 tablespoons chicken broth. Set aside to use for basting.
Lightly stuff Cornish hens with dressing mixture; close openings with skewers. Place hens in a large roasting pan; bake at 400 F for 1 hour, or until the Cornish hens are tender. Baste Cornish hens occasionally with combined remaining margarine and chicken broth.