|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||82%|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy casserole is made with leftover roast beef and mashed potatoes. If you don't have leftover mashed potatoes, make your favorite mashed potatoes using about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of potatoes.
Cottage pie or shepherd's pie, what's the difference? A cottage pie is often called a shepherd's pie, but there's a difference. A true shepherd's pie is made with lamb, while a cottage pie is made with beef.
- 3 cups leftover roast beef (minced or finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 to 4 cups leftover or fresh mashed potatoes (prepared with milk, butter, salt, and pepper)
- Optional: 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese ( finely shredded)
- Dash of sweet Hungarian paprika
Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350.
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until softened and lightly browned.
Add the beef and butter and saute for about 1 minute longer.
Stir in the flour until blended.
Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, peas, and carrots.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the beef mixture into the prepared baking dish.
If using leftover mashed potatoes, warm them in a saucepan with a little butter or milk until softened.
Stir sour cream and cheese into the potatoes.
Spoon potatoes evenly over the beef layer and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
If desired, turn on the broiler to brown the top for just a minute or two, but watch carefully to prevent burning.