These fried sweet potatoes make a tasty breakfast side dish. Or make the recipe and serve it as a side dish with dinner. They go well with steaks, ham, pork, and burgers. All you need is a skillet, sweet potatoes, and onion, and some basic seasonings. Feel free to omit the onion, or add some green bell pepper to the dish for extra color.
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 4 cups sliced)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or bacon drippings, or a combination)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes or cut them into small cubes. Peel the onion and cut it in half lengthwise. Slice the onion thinly.
- Heat the vegetable oil or drippings in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the sweet potatoes, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for about 20 minutes longer, turning several times, until evenly browned and tender.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|