|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 4mg||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This everyday meatloaf is made with lean ground beef or ground round. This is a recipe for a country-style meatloaf, which uses flour instead of breadcrumbs or crackers for the binding agent. The addition of mushrooms, carrots, celery, and onions make this classic comfort food so moist, full of flavor, and absolutely delicious. There is no ketchup in this meatloaf either, taking it out of the norm when it comes to making meatloaf. A bit of soy sauce adds a savory flavor to the loaf, too.
This meatloaf is shaped and placed on a sheet pan rather than in a loaf pan. You can make it in a loaf pan if you prefer, although we like making this meatloaf in a freeform way, so the grease can drain away from the loaf as it's cooking rather than have the loaf sitting in it.
Serve mashed potatoes with this meatloaf along with sliced tomatoes or your favorite side vegetables for a delicious everyday family meal.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced celery
3/4 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons water
2 pounds ground round, or lean ground beef (85 to 90 percent lean)
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, and water.
Heat to boiling; cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender-crisp.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, flour, seasoned salt, thyme, parsley, soy sauce, and the cooked vegetables.
Mix gently and shape into a loaf in a greased, shallow baking pan (with sides).
Bake the meatloaf at 350 F for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the loaf is crusty and browned. The meatloaf is done when it reaches 160 F on a meat thermometer.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Leftover meatloaf is great sliced up and used in sandwiches.
Use half ground beef and half ground pork.
How to Store and Freeze
- Leftover meatloaf can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- Meatloaf also freezes well in both uncooked and cooked forms.
- Uncooked meatloaf: You can freeze an uncooked meatloaf by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and placing in a zip-top freezer bag and put in the freezer where it will last for four to six months. To make: Simply place the frozen meatloaf on a baking sheet and bake as directed. Note: it might take a bit longer since cooking from frozen so check with an instant-read thermometer; the minimal safe cooking temperature for it to be cooked is 160 F.
- Cooked meatloaf: Freeze the entire loaf or cut it into individual slices by wrapping tightly in plastic wrap and then placing in a freezer-safe bag. Cooked meatloaf will last in the freezer for three to four months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat until warm.