|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 50g||64%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||77%|
|Total Carbohydrate 62g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||34%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Plan this meal a day in advance so you can cook the oxtails and get rid of the fat before cooking with the vegetables. Crusty bread is a welcome addition to soak up the rich gravy.
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds beef
- Salt and freshly ground black
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup
- Olive oil
- 1 cup red
- 1-3/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces)
- Tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 6 cloves of
- Garlic (large ones cut in half)
- 4 medium red potatoes (cut into quarters)
- 4 medium carrots (cut into 2-inch lengths)
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms (cut in half if large)
- Sweet onion (cut into 6 wedges)
- 1 cup snow peas, sugar snap peas or green beans
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle the oxtails liberally with salt and pepper on both sides, then sprinkle with the flour.
- Place a heavy oven-proof Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, coat the bottom with a thin layer of olive oil. Brown the oxtails on all sides and remove to a platter. Do this in batches, if necessary, so as not to crowd the meat. You want browned oxtails, not gray, steamed oxtails.
- Add the wine to the hot pan and boil for 2 minutes, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom. Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, bay leaf, and garlic. Stir to combine and return oxtails to the pan. Turn to coat the oxtails with the liquid. Cover tightly, place in the preheated oven, and bake for 2 hours.
- Let cool. Place oxtails in a container. Pour gravy into a separate container. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight for the gravy to firm up.
- Skim fat from the top of the gravy. Return gravy to the pot and reheat. Depending upon how thick it is, you may wish to add water to thin it a bit. Add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, sweet onion wedges, red potatoes, and carrots to the pot. Turn the vegetables to coat with the gravy.
- Cover and cook on low until the potatoes are almost tender. Return the oxtails to the pot with the vegetables and top with the snow peas. Cover and simmer until oxtails are heated through.
- Serve oxtails with the vegetables and pan gravy.