|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you're prepping for a big seafood event you're going to want to have a good crab boil on hand. Crab boil is the spice mix you use to flavor the water that you are using to boil the crab, and it can add lots of flavor to the seafood as it cooks. You can, of course, use it for other shellfish as well.
Many people use a store-bought crab boil from brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, but it's easy to make from spices you probably already have in your rack. Making your own crab boil seasoning means you can adjust the flavor to your tastes, too. If you like spicy food, add more red pepper flakes or toss in a few dashes of cayenne pepper.
This easy crab boil spice mix may be used for shrimp, crawfish, lobster, or crab. Simply add about 1/4 cup of the mix per pot of boiling water before you add the seafood. If you're serving a big crowd and boiling in an extra-large pot, double or triple the spice mix.
Gather the ingredients.
Add the pickling spices, sea salt, mustard seeds, peppercorns, pepper flakes, celery seeds, chives, ginger, oregano, and bay leaves to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse and process until the mixture forms a coarse powder.
Use spice blend immediately or store in an airtight container.
How to Store
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 1 month.
- For maximum flavor, use the spice blend as soon as possible.
How to Use Crab Boil Spice Mix
- For a shrimp boil, add 1/4 cup of the spice, along with 2 more teaspoons of salt to a large saucepan of boiling water.
- For a crab boil, use 1/4 cup of the spice blend plus 1 part distilled white wine vinegar to 3 parts water. Add the seafood and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the crabs float. Remove the crabs and serve or chill.
- Use the same mixture as a crab boil for cooking lobster, simmering for 15 to 20 minutes.