This crab casserole makes an excellent main dish and it is great with rice or French fries and a side vegetable. Broccoli, peas, asparagus, or green beans would be great with the dish.
The casserole can also be served as a hot dip with crackers or chips. You can keep it warm on a warming tray, or put the baking dish in the slow cooker and keep it on the warm or low setting.
- 1 pound crabmeat (well drained)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or similar seafood seasoning)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon capers
- Garnish: Ritz cracker crumbs
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Butter a 1-quart casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg. Add the crabmeat, mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay, and capers, if using. Stir to blend thoroughly.
- Spoon the crabmeat mixture into the prepared casserole dish and then top it with the Ritz cracker crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
Tips and Variations
Add about 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped drained artichoke hearts.
Add 1 tablespoon of chopped pimiento to additional flavor and color.
Stir about 1/4 cup of chopped green onions into the crab mixture.
Make it a seafood dip with some chopped lobster or shrimp along with the crabmeat.
You Might Also Like