This seafood salad is a Cajun blend of crab and crawfish, along with vegetables and salad greens. The salad is served with a Louis (or Louie) style dressing.
The dressing is a classic combination of mayonnaise and chili sauce or cocktail sauce.
Simple Crab Salad
- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light or full fat)
- 1/3 cup chili sauce or seafood cocktail sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- Dash salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat (chilled)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds crawfish tails (cooked, peeled, chilled, or about 4 to 6 for each plate)
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 large red onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into thin strips)
- 4 hard-cooked eggs (cut in wedges)
- 4-6 torn lettuce or salad greens for serving
In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce or cocktail sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco, Old Bay, relish, and green onions. Add salt and pepper as needed, to taste. Blend thoroughly; cover and chill until ready to serve.
On individual salad plates, arrange the lettuce leaves, arugula, or mixed greens. Place a portion of the crabmeat in the center of each greens-lined plate. Arrange the crawfish tails, tomato halves, hard-cooked egg wedges, and bell pepper around the crabmeat on each plate.
Cover and refrigerate the plates if not serving immediately.
Serve the salad with the chilled dressing.
You Might Also Like