This crab quiche makes a tasty lunch or brunch dish with a salad or cup of soup. A quiche is super easy to prepare, and it is filled with protein and flavor. This version is made with crabmeat and Swiss cheese. A small amount of nutmeg and sauteed minced shallots provide extra flavor. Use a frozen pie crust or homemade pastry for the pie.
- 1 pastry shell (9-inch) (partially baked*)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots (minced)
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese (shredded/divided)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper or hot pepper sauce
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley (minced)
- Heat the oven to 425 F and position the rack in the center of the oven.
- Line the pie plate with the chilled and rolled out dough and line with parchment paper or foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans at least two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just barely showing some color. Carefully remove the paper or foil and weights and return the crust to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until it is just lightly browned. Remove it from the oven and let it cool while you prepare the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Saute the minced shallots until tender, about 2 minutes. Combine the shallots with the crabmeat and flour; set aside.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup the cheese in the prepared pie shell, then top with the shallot and crab mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese.
- In a bowl beat the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and parsley until well blended. Pour into the pie shell.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F.
Serves 6 to 8.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|