Crab Rangoons are a favorite American Chinese-food appetizer. They are creamy, sweet, crunchy, and salty all at the same time. But, if you aren't ordering take-out, they're kind of a pain to assemble and fry. This crab rangoon dip has all the delicious flavor of your favorite app without any of the hard work.
We show you how to fry the wonton dippers, but you can also just serve this with pita chips or tortilla chips. It's even topped with sweet chili sauce to mimic the dipping sauce that makes crab rangoons so irresistible.
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh crab meat (picked over)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 scallions (green parts only, chopped)
- 1/3 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package of egg roll or wonton wrappers
- 1 quart canola or peanut oil (for frying)
- Optional: 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Gather your ingredients.
Beat the cream cheese until completely smooth and fluffy. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Add the chopped scallions, garlic, sour cream, mayonnaise, crab, salt, and pepper to taste, and 1 tablespoon of sweet chili sauce to the bowl of whipped cream cheese.
Fold the ingredients together in the bowl with a spatula until completely combined. Break up the crab as finely as you like.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish. You can decide what size dish you want. An 8-inch round casserole will work well, but choose the shape you like best.
If you are adding the mozzarella cheese, sprinkle it over the top of the dip before popping it in the preheated oven.
While the dip is baking, prepare the wonton chips. Cut the wrappers into triangles or chip like shapes. Using egg roll wrappers work just as well as wonton wrappers and they are often a little thicker.
Heat the oil to the deep frying temperature of 375 F and monitor it with a frying or candy thermometer.
Add the wrappers into the hot oil in batches of 4 or 5 at a time, depending on the size of your pot. Flip the wontons quickly so that they are lightly golden and fried on both sides. Drain them on a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet.
Take the dip out of the oven when the cheese is brown and the dip is heated through the center, about 20 minutes. Drizzle the remaining sweet chili sauce over the top of the dip. Then top with more chopped scallions. Start dipping and enjoy.
- Monitor the temperature of the oil. It will change as the wrappers are added. Turn the heat up or down as needed to maintain the 375F temperature.
- You can taste the dip before baking and add more salt as needed. You can also add in a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce instead of some of the salt.