Make these delicious scones for tea, or make them for a brunch or breakfast treat. These aren't overly sweet, but feel free to add an extra tablespoon of sugar if you want a sweeter scone.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 to 3 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease and flour a scone pan or baking sheet.
- In a food processor or large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt. If using the food processor, pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut butter into pieces and add to the dry ingredients. Pulse until the mixture is like a coarse meal. Alternatively, this can be done by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
- If using the processor, transfer the meal-like mixture to a large bowl. Stir in dried cranberries, chopped pecans, and orange zest. With a fork, mix in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- With floured fingers, pat the dough into a greased and floured 6-wedge scone pan or pat into a round on a lightly floured surface and cut into 6 even wedges; place on a greased baking sheet.
- With fingers or a pastry brush, brush with orange juice just to moisten tops. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|