Orange zest adds bright flavor to these tasty cranberry muffins. The muffins are made with fresh cranberries. Chopped pecans or walnuts add texture. Consider toasting the pecans or walnuts for some extra flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease muffin cups or line with cupcake papers. (About 18)
- Toss the cranberries with 1/4 cup of sugar in a bowl; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1 cup sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl combine eggs with milk; stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Gently fold in nuts and orange peel and cranberries.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Add extra orange zest and some orange extract for more orange flavor.
- To toast the pecans or walnuts, spread them out in a baking pan in a single layer. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 6 to 10 minutes, turning and stirring frequently. Transfer them to another pan or bowl to cool. When they're done they will look slightly darker and will have a toasted aroma.
- Sprinkle the muffins with cinnamon-sugar just before baking.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|