Forget about time-consuming cakes, pastries, and cookies. Forget about heart-shaped pancakes. The only thing you need to make your kids (or sweetheart) for Valentine's Day is a super simple, super delicious heart-shaped cream cheese & jam grilled cheese sandwich.
The way the cream cheese and jam melt together inside the buttery, toasted slice of bread...it's perfection. Even if you don't cut the sandwich into the shape of a heart. Make these tasty sandwiches any time of year in any cut-out shape, or simply as a regular grilled sandwich.
- 2 slices sandwich bread (white or whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons jam (raspberry and strawberry are especially good)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
Butter one side of each slice of bread with salted butter. Don't skimp; buttery, toasted bread is essential for a perfect cream cheese and jam sandwich.
Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the middle of each slice of bread into a heart shape.
On the un-buttered side of one heart, spread the cream cheese and jam. Place the other heart on top, butter side out. Press down gently, so the two hearts stick together.
Melt a little dab of butter in a pan over medium heat. Place the heart-shaped grilled cheese sandwich in the pan, cooking each side until nicely browned and the cream cheese and jam are warm.
Serve immediately, while still warm.
- The edges of the bread that are cut off from the heart shape shouldn't be thrown away. Instead, toast them in a pan until the pieces are toasted and crisp. They're delicious warm from the pan as a snack or served with an egg for breakfast.
- Coat the outside of the bread evenly and thoroughly. Butter, olive oil and even mayonnaise can be used.
- Use medium or medium-low heat, so the bread is nicely toasted and the cheese melts, but nothing burns.
- Press down gently on the grilled cheese sandwich as it cooks, for even browning
- Don't use a slice of bread that is too thick. Too much bread detracts from the flavor of the cheese in the middle.