The combination of rich brownie with the sweet and slightly tart cream cheese frosting in this recipe is beyond delicious.
You can make this recipe, of course, with a brownie mix if you prefer. But try this homemade recipe for brownies at least once. The combination of butter and vegetable oil, as strange as it may sound, makes the brownies chewy and very tender and moist. And the combination of cocoa powder and melted chocolate makes the brownies velvety and full of flavor.
There's a lot of vanilla in these brownies for a good reason - vanilla really softens the chocolate flavor and adds a wonderful floral note.
These brownies would fly off the plate at a bake sale, or add them to a cookie tray for entertaining or for the holidays.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13" x 9" pan with a nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine 3/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup oil, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Melt this mixture over low heat until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat well. Beat in the eggs until smooth, then stir in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Spoon and spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the brownies are just set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool the brownies completely on a wire rack.
- When the brownies are cool, in a medium bowl combine the cream cheese with 1/4 cup butter and beat well. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|