Be the hero at your next bake sale or potluck with these moist and delicious brownies, which look and taste extra-special thanks to an indulgent sweetened cream cheese swirl. No one will believe you when you tell them that you made them from scratch, but this recipe will take you less than an hour to make!
Semisweet Chocolate Brownies
- For the Chocolate Brownie Batter:
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 ounces butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- For Cream Cheese Swirl:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving the ends long to help lift the baked brownies. Spray with baking spray or lightly grease and dust with flour.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter together. Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat. Stir in 1 cup of granulated sugar until smooth and let cool slightly.
- When the mixture has cooled a bit, add the 2 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup flour, and the chopped nuts, if using. Beat with a whisk or spoon until well blended.
- In a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with 1/3 cup of granulated sugar until smooth. Add the large egg, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until well blended.
- Spoon about 5 tablespoons of the chocolate batter into a cup and set aside. Spread the remaining chocolate batter in the prepared pan. Spoon the cream cheese batter over the chocolate layer and lightly spread to cover. Drop the reserved chocolate batter evenly over the cream cheese layer with a teaspoon. With a spatula or knife, lightly swirl the chocolate into the cream cheese layer.
- Bake for about 22 to 26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|