Nutritious and satisfying, this cream of broccoli soup recipe makes for a quick and easy meal. Its velvety smooth texture, along with a subtly fresh, creamy flavor, will make this pureed soup a favorite with broccoli lovers. A handful of homemade bacon thyme croutons make it extra hearty.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Optional: 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Garnish: bacon thyme croutons
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, sauté the chopped onion in butter just until it turns translucent and tender.
- Add the chicken stock and broccoli and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer the soup for 8 to 10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Using a blender, puree the broccoli soup until it is smooth.
- Carefully transfer the hot broccoli mixture back into the saucepan and stir in the heavy cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Heat the soup though - avoid boiling it - and serve immediately.
This cream of broccoli soup recipe makes 4 to 6 servings.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|