|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||69%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Sometimes a simple soup is most appealing on a chilly night, and you cannot get more basic than this easy cream of chicken or turkey soup. Chicken or turkey broth, heavy cream, and seasonings are all that you need to make this comforting recipe. Serve this soup as a first course to family or guests, or paired with a sandwich for a filling lunch. This is a great recipe to use leftover holiday turkey. Make the stock with the bird carcass and add any leftover meat to the soup.
This recipe can be found in "The New Doubleday Cookbook" by Jean Anderson and Elaine Hanna.
Gather the ingredients.
Bring the broth to a simmer and slowly mix in the cream.
Add salt to taste, the pepper, and nutmeg.
Cover and let the flavors mellow over the lowest heat for about 10 minutes.
Serve hot, topped with minced parsley or chives.
- For a homestyle chunky cream of chicken or turkey soup, substitute a cup of half-and-half for the heavy cream; cook along with the broth until thickened, and then mix in the spices along with chopped, cooked chicken or turkey, potatoes, peas, and/or carrots.
- If you don't have heavy cream, you can make a substitute using butter and milk.
- For a non-dairy version of this soup, use either a dairy-free heavy cream or combine soy milk with olive oil using a ratio of 2 to 1.
- This soup can also be served cold; let cool completely before putting in the refrigerator to chill.
- A pesto chicken panini or grilled cheese with turkey on sourdough.
- Grilled chicken and pimiento cheese sandwiches on crusty French bread.
- Chipotle, chicken, avocado, and Monterey Jack cheese panini.
- Sourdough bread with slices of avocado, tomato, bacon, and lettuce, topped with a dollop of mayonnaise.
- Classic club sandwiches—slices of crispy bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, and turkey with mayonnaise on country white bread.
- Chicken salad on country white or French bread.