|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 73g||94%|
|Saturated Fat 44g||218%|
|Total Carbohydrate 55g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The canned version comes in handy for casseroles, but for a stand-alone cream of mushroom soup, go for the real thing with lots of mushrooms.
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided use)
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sweet onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cans chicken broth (10-3/4 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- Gather the ingredients.
- Clean mushrooms with a mushroom brush or damp paper towel. Cut half of the mushrooms into slices. Chop the remainder.
- Melt half of the butter in a large saucepan and saute sliced mushrooms until golden. Remove and reserve sliced mushrooms. Add remaining butter to the same pan, along with the chopped mushrooms and sweet onions. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring often until onion is soft.
- Return sliced mushrooms to the pan. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly about 2 minutes, until smooth. Slowly add chicken broth while stirring. Simmer, stirring often, until thickened. Add nutmeg and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, if need be.
- Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. (Do not boil.) Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.