|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 58g||74%|
|Saturated Fat 33g||167%|
|Total Carbohydrate 127g||46%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cheddar cheese gives an added richness and tang to homemade cream of mushroom soup. This is quite filling on its own, but if you want to make it a meal, add some diced cooked chicken or turkey and steamed .
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mixed portabella, oyster, shiitake, cremini, enoki, etc. (sliced thick)
- 1/2 medium sweet onions (sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream, half-and-half, or milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
In a heavy saucepan, gently saute mushrooms, sweet onions, garlic, and salt in the butter until mushrooms have released their liquid and onions are soft.
Sprinkle with the flour and stir for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth while stirring.
Bring to a low boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cream and nutmeg, and return to a simmer.
Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
Remove from heat and serve.