This rich and delicious soup is perfect for any holiday table. This easy version skips the messy, and time-consuming chore of cooking and pureeing fresh pumpkins. As most chefs will tell you, pure, canned pumpkin will have a better flavor than that fresh pumpkin patch gourd you picked yourself. Save that for the front porch!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion (sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup carrots (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 1 rib celery (trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Dash ground white pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- Optional: shelled pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- In a 4-qt saucepan, saute the onions in butter until transparent.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the cream.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Place in a blender and carefully puree until completely smooth.
- Pour back into the saucepan and add the cream.
- Bring back to a gentle simmer, turn off heat, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve in warm bowls, and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|