This flavorful soup, made with yellow summer squash, could be made with zucchini as well. Use a yellow crookneck or straight neck squash in this recipe, or just about any other summer squash variety.
- Wash and trim the summer squash. Slice, reserving 8 very thin slices for garnish, if desired.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter; slowly saute onion and lemon until the onion is translucent. Sprinkle with flour and cook slowly, stirring, until flour is absorbed. Add chicken broth gradually, then sliced squash, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor. Add nutmeg.
- Put the pureed soup back in the saucepan. Whisk in the cream and cook over low heat until hot. Do not allow the soup to boil.
- Garnish the soup with reserved squash slices or shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Or, garnish with a little chopped parsley, bacon, or chives.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|