This Cream of Zucchini Soup has great body simply from the amount of zucchini whirled up in it, so very little cream is needed to give it that final push to supreme creaminess. For a "cream of" soup it is remarkably healthful.
Note: If you want to freeze this soup, simply stop after step 3 and freeze. When ready to serve, defrost it and continue with the recipe (step 4: add the cream and heat!).
- Halve, peel, and roughly chop the onion. Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat and add oil or butter. When the fat is hot or the butter is melted, add the onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim and roughly chop the zucchini. Add the zucchini and the broth to the onion. Increase the heat to bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches if necessary, whirl the soup in a blender or food processor until very smooth (at least 1 minute per batch). Note: Wait to whirl until cool or hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender or processor over the top to prevent any burning splatters. Return the pureed soup to pot. If you have a hand-held immersion blender, you can use that instead, just be sure to whirl all of the soup in the pot enough so that it's totally and completely puréed until very smooth.
- Stir in the cream and gently heat the soup over low heat until hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (note that soup often requires a lot of salt to acquire good flavor, just think of all that water in there!). Serve hot with a sprinkle of pepper and/or nutmeg, if you like.
While this soup is utterly lovely in its simplicity, I can understand the desire to dress it up a bit. Luckily, that's easy to do. Here are a few garnishes you can add at the end to bring this soup to new heights:
- Crunchy croutons
- Minced fresh leafy herbs such as parsley, chervil, or basil
- A dollop of plain, unsweetened yogurt, sour cream, or crème fraîche
- Finely grated Parmesan or other hard, flavorful grating cheese
- A swirl of extra virgin olive oil, nut oil, or chili oil
- Finely chopped chives or green garlic
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|