Leftover ham is like money in the bank, because there are so many ways you can use it in meal. Plus, it's flavorful enough to stretch and use for several dishes. Leftover ham or the ham bones make delicious soups and stocks as well. Some of the possibilities include quiches, breakfast casseroles, creamy casseroles, sandwiches, salad toppings, and potato dishes. If you have a lot of extra ham, dice it and freeze it in one-cup or two-cup portions to use in recipes.
This creamed ham is an easy dish to prepare, and it is delicious on grits or rice or serve it over pasta, rice, toast points, hot split biscuits, or baked puff pastry shells.
The ham and sauce is a simple combination, and it's quite versatile. Feel free to use peas and carrots in place of the peas, or add some chopped pimiento for extra flavor and color. Asparagus or mushrooms would be excellent in the sauce as well. For a richer sauce, add about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese along with the cream.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups diced ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed, cooked and drained)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
- Slice the green onions, keeping the white and light green parts separate from the dark green.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the green onion (white and light green) and minced parsley and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk and heavy cream. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in diced ham and cooked peas, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the remaining sliced green onions (dark green) and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve the creamed ham over rice, grits, toast points, or biscuits.
- Add about 1/4 cup of good quality grated Parmesan cheese to the sauce along with the diced ham and peas.
- Replace all or part of the ham with diced cooked turkey or chicken.
- Replace the milk and heavy cream with 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|