The combination of new potatoes with fresh or frozen green beans makes a delicious side dish. Even if it isn't the season for new potatoes, the dish is wonderful with baby potatoes or fingerling potatoes.
Small fresh whole green beans are excellent in this dish, but frozen or larger green beans are good as well. New potatoes and French green beans (haricot verts) were used in the pictured dish.
For the Potatoes and Green Beans
- Scrub the potatoes and cut larger ones in half. Peel them if desired.
- Trim the green beans and rinse well. If the green beans are large, slice them into 1 to 2-inch lengths.
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and 1 teaspoon of salt; bring to a boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low; cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the prepared green beans to the potatoes and continue cooking for 9 to 12 minutes longer, or until the potatoes and green beans are tender.
- If using frozen or the smaller fresh French green beans, add them about 12 minutes after the potatoes begin to boil and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes longer.
For the Cream Sauce
- Meanwhile, make the cream sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the foaming subsides, add the flour. Cook the roux for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk the milk into the roux. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add chopped chives or parsley, if desired.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Finishing the Dish
- Drain the potatoes and green beans and transfer to a serving dish.
- Pour the sauce over the green beans and potatoes and stir gently to coat the vegetables.
- Serve hot.
What are new potatoes? New potatoes are freshly dug potatoes. Most potatoes are "cured" for a few weeks or longer, but new potatoes are sold right after they come out of the ground. The skin of new potatoes is very thin and flaky. No peeling is necessary, just rub the loose skin off with your hands or a soft brush and cook.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||62 g|
|Saturated Fat||33 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|