|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|Total Sugars 11g|
|Vitamin C 5mg||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Creamed tuna is pure comfort food. Canned tuna and cooked peas are mixed with a homemade white sauce, creating a luscious texture and rich flavor. The creamy tuna mixture is fabulous on top of split buttered biscuits or toast points or served it in baked puff pastry shells. It's great spooned over rice or noodles as well. And the best part is it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to prep and cook and makes a fantastic lunch or dinner dish.
Feel free to add some diced pimientos to the dish for extra color. You might also want to toss in about 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese or some grated Parmesan for extra creaminess and added flavor.
2 ounces (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups milk
1 (7-ounce) can tuna, drained
1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas, cooked
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat; blend in the flour, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and bubbly.
Gradually stir in the milk while stirring constantly. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
Add the drained tuna and cooked peas. Continue heating and stirring until hot.
Serve creamed tuna over toast, biscuits, or rice.
Making Perfect Toast Points
Although you can simply place some bread in the toaster, taking a little time and using a bit of technique will result in something far more delicious. Start by heating the broiler. Arrange 6 slices of good quality white bread on a large parchment paper- or foil-lined baking sheet. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush over the bread slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Broil, butter-side up, for about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and broil the other side for another 1 1/2 minutes, or until browned. When the toast is cool, trim the crusts and slice each piece into 2 triangles or 2 rectangles.
- Add about 1/2 cup of mild shredded cheddar cheese or about 1/4 cup of grated fresh Parmesan cheese to the sauce. Cook until the cheese has melted and then add the tuna.
- Garnish the creamed tuna with fresh chopped parsley, chives, or some shredded or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Shrimp Wiggle: Instead of tuna, make the dish with about 1 cup of peeled and cooked salad shrimp or chopped larger shrimp.
- Add a few tablespoons of drained diced pimientos along with the tuna and vegetables.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sauteed sliced mushrooms or drained canned mushrooms.
- Instead of plain frozen peas, use peas and carrots.
- If you aren't a fan of peas, use frozen steamed carrots, corn, or green beans.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dry sherry to the sauce.