- 4 medium fresh artichokes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium russet potato, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) chicken (cooked, torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Dash kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Garnish: croutons for garnish
Place artichokes in a steamer tray in a large stockpot with the water. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top of the artichokes. Cover and steam until tender, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on size. Remove artichokes, reserving the liquid, and let cool until you can handle them.
Scrape the flesh from the bottom of each artichoke leaf into a stockpot. Add the reserved cooking liquid. Discard the fuzzy choke from the bottoms of the artichokes and chop the hearts.
Add to the stockpot along with the chicken broth, , potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and oregano.
Boil the , uncovered, about 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Puree vegetables, with their liquid in a or . (You may need to do this in batches.)
Return artichoke purees to the stockpot. Stir in chicken, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Bring back to a low simmer, stirring constantly until heated.
Serve creamy artichoke chicken soup with croutons sprinkled on top.