Egg yolk and lots of cheese make this an extra-cheesy macaroni and cheese recipe. Serve as a main dish or side dish to any meal, or take it along to a potluck dinner.
Use a variety of sharp and mild cheddar cheese or add some Monterey Jack or American cheese to the mix.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (whole or low fat)
- 1 large egg yolk (beaten)
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Cook macaroni following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter; stir in paprika, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add about 1 cup of the sauce to the beaten egg yolk then return the egg mixture to the sauce, stirring to blend well.
- Set aside about 1 cup of the shredded cheese and add the rest to the sauce. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the drained macaroni and turn into the baking dish. Top with the reserved cheese.
- Toss bread crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over the cheese layer. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Whenever you have stale bread, use your food processor to make breadcrumbs. Freeze the breadcrumbs in freezer bags to use as toppings on casseroles, in meatloaf and meatballs, and for other uses.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|