Gelatin salads - also known as congealed salads -- have long been a tradition on Southern Thanksgiving dinner tables. Consider adding a flavorful fruit salad or gelatin salad to your Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 24 marshmallows (standard size)
- 5 ounces cream cheese with pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon flavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- Drain pineapple; reserve juice.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the reserved pineapple juice; add marshmallows and cook while stirring until melted. Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In another saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil.
- Dissolve the lemon flavored gelatin in boiling water; cool.
- Combine marshmallow mixture with the gelatin; chill until jelled to the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Stir the crushed pineapple and grated carrot into the gelatin mixture; pour into an 8-inch square pan; cut carrot salad in squares to serve with whipped cream, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|